Estong Ballesteros strengthens Masters Pinoy with experience
Being a three-time Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) champion is a significant achievement, especially during the competitive era of the 1990s to 2000s. That wealth of experience is precisely what Ernesto “Estong” Ballesteros brings to the table as he prepares to compete for Master Pinoy Pilipinas Basketball in the upcoming World Masters Tournament in Taiwan from May 17 to 30.
In an exclusive interview with Scoreline.ph, Ballesteros shared the contributions he plans to make to the Philippine 45up team as they compete on the international stage.
"The number one thing I can bring to help the team is my experience in the PBA and international competition," Ballesteros said in Filipino.
"It will be a big boost since we will be facing stronger and heavier opponents," added the sweet-shooting big man, who will be representing the country as a basketball player for the third time in his career.
Ballesteros previously played for the RP Team in 1996 before entering the professional league in 1997. That’s why he feels honored and privileged to wear the Philippine colors once again, joining forces with fellow former PBA players such as Roger Yap, Gherome Ejercito, Gilbert Malabanan, Oliver Agapito, and Marlon Basco.

"The number one thing I can bring to help the team is my experience in the PBA and international competition," Ballesteros said in Filipino.
Now at 52 years old and still fit for competitive basketball, Ballesteros also shared valuable advice for the next generation of aspiring professional players.
"First of all, self-discipline is key to achieving your goals. Another important thing is maintaining proper habits, like sleeping early and getting enough rest," he emphasized. "Always listen to your coaches so you can absorb their advice and apply it to your game."
With the PBA's 50th Anniversary approaching, Scoreline.ph asked Ballesteros who he believes should be among the 10 additional players to join the existing list of the PBA's 40 Greatest Players. Without hesitation, he named Nelson "The Bull" Asaytono.
"My teammate, Nelson Asaytono. I believe he should have been part of the original 40. However, different opinions from the PBA board influenced the final list. Hopefully, this time, he will be included in the Top 50," Ballesteros shared.
Before concluding, Ballesteros called on Filipinos, especially basketball fans, to support their team in the World Masters Tournament.
"To our fellow countrymen and the Filipino communities in Taipei, we hope for your support in our tournament this May. Thank you as well to all our supporters," he concluded.
With a combination of veteran leadership and passion for the game, Ballesteros and his team are ready to showcase their skills on the international stage once again.
